The Camp Tapawingo board of directors have made the difficult decision to cancel camps at Candle Lake this summer.
We have been carefully consulting the Saskatchewan Health Authority’s recommendations as well as Premier Scott Moe’s recent address announcing the plan to slowly and methodically start to reopen the economy. Of course, there is still no certainty at this time, and we are still in a ‘wait and see’ holding pattern.
As of March 19th (and still in effect as of the current Public Health Order on April 23rd), the government has ordered the closure of all recreational facilities. "Summer camps and bible camps" are classified as recreational facilities.
According to the Provincial government announcement on April 23, the re-opening of recreational facilities will not happen until ‘Phase Four’, This phase doesn’t have a set date and will come into effect after health officials evaluate the spread of COVID-19 in the province. Gatherings will have a capacity of 30 people and "all businesses and public venues will be required to continue following physical distancing and cleaning and disinfection practices to protect both employees and customers.”
As a board, our priority is always the health and safety of all who attend camp. We take that responsibility very seriously. We cannot predict when things will get back to ‘normal’ and what that new normal may look like. We have made the extremely difficult and heart - wrenching decision to err on the side of caution and pre-emptively cancel camp this year. While we are saddened to make this decision, we do believe that it is the best one at this time. Physical distancing, extra sanitizing and small gathering numbers would make it almost impossible for us to do what we do at camp. While we are all hopeful that by the end of June everything will go back to normal we are also realistic that this may not be the case for some time, and we think it is best to take a break this summer to reset, regroup and do what we think is best for the health and safety of all. Please know we did not make this decision lightly.
We sincerely thank all of you for your understanding and are actively looking for ways to have an online presence this summer to keep our campers engaged and part of our Tapawingo community. We will be looking forward to seeing all our amazing campers in person next summer!
If you have already registered for camp, we will be issuing full refunds. We ask for your patience and understanding with this process.
Terry Linsley Kreutzwieser, Tapawingo Chair/ Staffing Coordinator on behalf of Camp Tapawingo Board of Directors